Mandate and R&D area:
- Cleaner energy generation with minimum carbon- and environmental- footprints from renewable and non-renewable resources.
- Provide technological solutions for energy- and environment- related issues, using the current advancement of nanoscience and nanotechnology.
- Future energy generation prospects including those using Chemical Looping Combustion- specially focussing on self-supported oxygen carrier based on abundantly available metal oxides for thermal power plants applications
- Improved cook stoves, IEC and other interventions to control rural & urban indoor emissions. Management of air pollution from solid fuel combustion and through improved biomass based fuels
- Resource management through-
- Cleaner diesel engines by application of low-cost exhaust treatment catalysts
- Effective utilization of precious metals and their recovery,
- Development of high capacity adsorbents for air and water treatment
- Sediment studies to assess water pollution and its impacts on water quality
- Assessment of water treatment technologies. Studies of solid waste minimization and management from water treatment plants.
- Nano-intermetallics for fuel cells-related applications
- Air pollution control through development of low-cost perovskites, multifunctional metals & metal oxides, nano-intermetallics, catalysts for indoor (VOCs) and producer gas/methane etc. combustion
- Shape-tailored catalysts for indoor air treatments.
Division’s Mandate& Road Map