CSIR-NEERI, Chennai Zonal Laboratory, one of the five Zonal Laboratories of the National Environmental Engineering Research Institute, Nagpur, has been a trail-blazer to the industries in the States of Tamil Nadu, Karnataka, Kerala and Pondicherry, ever since its inception in 1969. The Zonal Laboratory follows the footsteps of the parent organization (NEERI, Nagpur) in its commitment towards the national and societal missions and CSIR thrust area activities. In its 47 years of existence, this unit has made significant strides in such thrust areas of R&D as environmental monitoring, environmental biotechnology, hazardous waste management, environmental systems design, environmental impact & risk assessment and environmental audit.
The broad objectives of the laboratory are:
- Conducting research and developmental studies in the area of environmental science and engineering.
- Rendering assistance to the industries of the region, local bodies, etc. in solving the problems of environmental pollution.
- Interacting and collaborating with academic and research institutions on environmental science and engineering for mutual benefit.
- Providing guidance for research scholars for their doctoral studies as the unit is recognised by the University of Madras and Anna University.
CSIR-NEERI, Chennai Zonal Laboratory has played an important role in solving some of the most critical problems of pollution in the States of Tamil Nadu, Karnataka, Kerala and also union territories of Puducherry, Andaman & Nicobar Islands, Lakshadweep. Projects of international status funded by such agencies as WHO, World Bank and the US Government have been undertaken by the Zonal Laboratory. The Zonal Laboratory has designed wastewater treatment and disposal facilities for over 60 industries covering tanneries, pulp and paper, textiles, chemicals and fertilizers, food, sugar and distillery, etc. The Laboratory has carried out Environmental Impact Assessment studies for a number of proposed industrial projects and expansion schemes. The laboratory has been monitoring the ambient air quality of Chennai City since 1978 by installing air samplers at 3 zones of activity viz. Industrial, Commercial and Residential.
Some of the recent noteworthy contributions of the centre to the cause of environmental protection are listed below:
Environmental Impact Assessment (EIA)
- Environmental Audit at Harihar Alloys Private Limited, Forging Division, Trichy
- EIA Studies for the Proposed Expansion of Manali Refinery (I&III), Euro-IV and Resid Upgradation, Naphtha Hydrotreater & Continuous Catalytic Reforming And Propylene Projects, Manali Refinery Complex, Tamilnadu
- Environmental Impact & Risk Assessment (EIRA) for Proposed Refinery at Thiruchpuram Village, Cuddalore District, Tamil Nadu
- EIRA for Puducherry Port
- EIA for CPCL, Manali
- EIA for Chemfab Alkalis, Pondicherry
- EIA for the salts fields of Padma Chemicals, Chunampet and Kanthadu
- Assessment of Dust Emissions from Stone Crushing Industry in Trisoolam Area
- EIA for the Common Hazardous Waste Disposal Facility at the SIPCOT Industrial Complex, Gummidipoondi
- Technoeconomic Feasibility and Environmental Impact Assessment of the proposed Sethu Samudram Ship Canal Project
- EIA for Hyundai Motors near Chennai
- Comprehensive Environmental Impact Assessment (CEIA) for Nuclear Power Plant, Kudankulam
- EIA of Off-shore Facility of ONGC at Nellore, Andhra Pradesh
- EIA and Risk Assessment of Proposed Hazardous Waste Disposal Site at Siruseri, Chennai
- EIA for Proposed Development of Petrochemical Estate for Establishment of Petrochemical Project at Ennore
- CEIA Study of 8MMTPA Expansion of Cauvery Basin Refinery(South India) Nagapatinam, Tamil Nadu
Environmental Management Plan (EMP)
- EMP for Kanchipuram, Dept. of Environment, Govt. of Tamil Nadu
- EMP for Chennai Port
- Environmental Quality Assessment Study of M/s. CPCL, Manali Refinery Complex, Tamil Nadu
- Evaluation of Water Pollution and Toxic Gas Emission due to Industries in SIPCOT Cuddalore
- National Ambient Air Quality Monitoring at Chennai
- Scientific study of Water and Sediment Quality in the West Coast Canal of NW-3, Kerala
- Assessment of VOCs at SIPCOT Industrial Complex, Cuddalore
- Impact of On-site Sanitation on Surface and Groundwater Sources in Chennai and Coimbatore
- Environmental Quality Assessment (EQA) for M/s.Sundram Fasteners, Krishnapuram
- EQA of Gem Stone Beach Resorts and Theme Park Site, Muttukadu
- Inventory of Evaporative Emission of Hydrocarbon from Various Sources in Chennai
Environmental Systems Design, Modelling and Optimization
- Design of Sewage Treatment Plant for Calicut Airport Kerala
- Design of Sewage Treatment Plants for Tsunami Affected Areas in 13 Districts of Tamil Nadu
- Design of Sullage/Sewage Treatment Plant for Rashtrapati Bhavan, New Delhi
- Design of Sewage Treatment Plant for Chennai Port
1 2 3 next > last > >