Achievements of CSIR- NEERI
National Environmental Engineering Research Institute (NEERI), Nagpur is a constituent of Council of Scientific & Industrial Research (CSIR), New Delhi and has a nation-wide presence with its five zonal laboratories at Chennai, Delhi, Hyderabad, Kolkata and Mumbai. The mandate of NEERI is:
- To conduct research and developmental studies in environmental science and engineering
- To render assistance to the industries of the region, local bodies, etc. in solving the problems of environmental pollution through S&T intervention
- To interact and collaborate with academic and research institutions on environmental science and engineering for mutual benefit
- To participate in CSIR thrust area and National mission projects
R & D Thrust Areas
Environmental Monitoring, Environmental Modelling, Optimisation, Environmental Impact & Risk Assessment, Environmental Policy, Environmental Biotechnology, Genomics and Virology, Environmental Health, Water and Wastewater Technologies, Solid and Hazardous Waste Management, and Environmental Materials.
The clientele involves Industries, Central Government Ministries/Boards, State Government Ministries/Boards, Judiciary.
CSIR-National Environmental Engineering Research Institute (CSIR-NEERI) has initiated various R&D activities under 12th Five Year Plan for effective environmental monitoring in the country, which include mission projects such as “National Clean Air Mission”, “Clean Water: Sustainable Options”, “Waste Utilization and Management (COE)” and “Quantification and Mitigation of Persistent Organic Pollutants (PoPs) under Stockholm Convention”. Besides various R&D activities are in progress to deliver environmental solutions through development of cost-effective and resource recovery based technologies suitable to socio-economic conditions prevailing in the country.
CSIR-NEERI has initiated vital outcome-driven R&D activities under CSIR-800 programme to benefit rural people of India in terms of water pollution control, air pollution control and waste to wealth. The Institute is attempting to develop environmental materials which will be instrumental in preventing environmental pollution. The Institute has taken up R&D activities related to carbon dioxide sequestration and valorization for reducing the increasinglevels of CO2 in the atmosphere. As part of paradigm shifts, CSIR-NEERI is committed to focuson carrying capacity based developmental planning to ensure sustainable development in the country instead ofconventional environmental impact and risk assessment
The Institute will continue to provide solutions to various environmental problems faced by government, industry and the society. The Institute will also continue its output driven R&D activities in terms of technology development and transfer, research publications, patents, networking with academic and R&D Institutions in India and abroad.
CSIR-NEERI has successfully transferred two technologies, viz. Phytorid wastewater treatment technology to 15 MSME entrepreneurs and Solar Electrolytic Defluoridation technology of water to 9 MSME entrepreneurs. CSIR-NEERI entered into several agreements with various Agencies/Organizations for technology transfer/ implementation of R&D projects / academic collaboration.
CSIR-NEERI has developed indigenous “Electronic Nose (e-nose)”, in association with C-DAC Kolkata, which has a potential to substitute imported “e-nose”. This e-nose consisting of 8 array of sensors (metal oxide) is useful in monitoring of sulphurous odorants in pulp & paper industry, tannery and distillery.
The Institute provided a technological solution to M/s Mahindra Vehicle Manufactures Limited (MVML), Pune for treatment and safe disposal of its effluent using high rate transpiration system. The HRTS model designed by the Institute was implemented in the field at M/s MVML, Pune. The HRTS design consists of filter media which provides more surface area for interaction of pollutants and also removes the suspended solids present in the wastewater was prepared.
Hand pump attachable Iron Removal (IR) plants based on the CSIR-NEERI’s technology were installed at 66 locations by Public Health Engineering Department, Chhattisgarh in Rajnandgaon, Durg and Kanker districts. These plants helped to bring down the iron concentrations in water from 3-8 mg/L to less than 0.1 mg/L. Capacity of each plant is about 1000 L/hr.
Electro-oxidation technology developed by CSIR-NEERI was implemented at Nandesari Industries Association, Vadodara on pilot scale for effective treatment of recalcitrant chemical industry wastewater. The first ever CETP scale electro oxidation plant has been designed in India for treatment of highly recalcitrant chemical industry effluents, based on the technology developed by CSIR-NEERI. This technology helps to meet the effluent discharge norms (COD of 250 mg/l) with low foot print area (4m x4 m per reactor) and is easy to install, operate and cost-effective.
CSIR-NEERI has taken up Carrying capacity based developmental projects such as “carrying capacity based planning for proposed development in Sambalpur-Jharsuguda region, Odisha”; “Tourist impact assessment and carrying capacity study for environmental protection of world heritage sites – TajMahal, Agra and Ajanta Caves, Aurangabad”.
The Institute provided 100 units each of NEERI-ZAR water filters to the Uttarakhand and J&K Government to provide safe drinking water for flood affected people.
A multi-fuel domestic cook stove has been developed and tested for its high thermal efficiency and reduced emissions. Village women have shown encouraging response to this product.
A Mobile Laboratory for Toxic Emission Monitoring &and Flue gas treatment is developed for application in Small and Medium Scale Industries.
Low cost water recycle and reuse Nawatech Natural Water Technologies (Field demonstration two in Pune and two in Nagpur) and Phytoremediation technology (Three Field Demonstration) under Water4crops project are under implementation.
A Technology Park to show case processes and products of 12th Five Year Plan projects on Waste to Energy is under construction stage.
- Electro-oxidation technology implemented at Nandesari Industries Association, Vadodara on pilot scale for effective treatment of recalcitrant chemical industry wastewater.
- Technological solution to M/s Mahindra Vehicle Manufactures Limited (MVML), Pune for treatment and safe disposal of its effluent using high rate transpiration system.
- As a part of societal missions, based on the technology developed at the Institute, solar energy based electrolytic defluoridation plant has been constructed and commissioned at a fluorite mine of Maharashtra State Mining Corporation, located near village Dongargaon, about 100 km away from Nagpur city. The plant with a designed capacity of 600 L / batch is providing fluoride free safe water to the workers of the fluorite mine.
- The Institute has evolved US EPA assisted water safety plan for Hyderabad city and demonstrated UNIDO assisted full scale grey water recycle in Madhya Pradesh. NEERI has developed a process for recovery of essential oils from waste peels of citrus fruits for rural community.
- Several low-cost catalysts have been designed and synthesized for the control of CO, VOCs and PM emissions from the solid fuel combustion. These catalysts have been characterized and evaluated for their catalytic activity towards CO, VOCs and PM oxidation with a view to control indoor air pollution in rural areas.
- NEERI has designed and developed sustainable remediation process for mitigation of fluoride contamination in groundwater and its field application for domestic use. Hand pump attachable iron removal plants were developed and installed at various places in the country.